Ormandy Supply Plantroom for New Swansea Arena Development
Swansea Arena, due to open in 2021 is a landmark 3,500 capacity indoor arena and conference centre that has been built by Swansea City Council to attract the world’s top music acts and theatre productions.
Swansea Arena is a landmark 3,500 capacity indoor arena and conference centre, built to attract the world’s top music acts and theatre productions. Located near the marina, Copr Bae is part of the new cultural district and parklands being developed by Swansea City Council, due to open in 2021.
Swansea council leader Rob Stewart explained “there will be upwards of 3500 people coming down to enjoy great events in the arena, helping hotels, restaurants and shops to get extra footfall”.
CMB Engineering, the MEP contractor, appointed Ormandy for this prestigious project to build two bespoke plantrooms which would supply all the hot water and heating demand for the venue.
Ormandy were engaged in the project from an early stage and worked closely with the client on all aspects of the project, enabling the build time to be reduced by half!
Furthermore, the ability to build the fully fitted plantrooms offsite, enabled the following:
- Speed of construction reduced from 26 to 13 weeks!
- Less labour required on-site and security clearance
- High, quality finish, fully tested prior to delivery.
- Reduced site supervision and management.
- Better Health and Safety as no interfaces with other building trades.
- Manufacturing quality is better controlled in the factory environment.
- All controls, electrical and insulation, completed and verified offsite to ensure when it arrives at the arena, it is the complete finished article and ready for installation.
Alan Thomas from CMB said, “we were very impressed with the complete package, from the management of the contract and plant design to the quality of the fabrication & installation. We would certainly be looking for opportunities to partner with Ormandy in the future”.
The plantrooms were both fitted with external cladding and are to be positioned on the roof of the building, with additional Evoplates incorporated for more specific heating and hot water storage.
Packaged Plantrooms & Plant Solutions